How to raise a concern

get involved.jpgIt is important to us that you have an opportunity to give feedback and share your views on the care you receive. Sharing your experiences helps us to shape and improve our services across the Trust and provide the best possible patient care. 

Please talk to a member of staff involved in your care in the first instance. An important part of their job is to listen to what you have to say and to try to respond to any concerns you may have.

Whether your feedback is positive or negative, we would like to know. You can contact the Complaints and Patient Experience team on the details below for support.  

Contact the Complaints and Patient Experience Team

A complaint can be made by anyone who is affected by the actions or decisions of the Trust. If you are complaining on someone else's behalf, we will need to check with them that they are happy for us to respond to you.

To fully investigate your complaint, we may need to share some information from your medical records with clinicians and managers who work at the Trust. We respect patient confidentiality at all times.

Our staff work hard to provide a high standard of care, however, we recognise that sometimes things do go wrong.  

  • We recognise how upsetting and frustrating it can be when things do not go right. We want make sure that, when people raise issues, we deal with these as effectively and efficiently as we can. We believe that early, local resolution provides the best outcome for most issues. To help this to happen, a senior manager from the relevant clinical area, will contact you to discuss your concerns and the best way in which to take your issues forward, as soon as possible. 
  • If it is not possible to resolve your concerns locally, an investigation will be carried out into the issues you have raised. The senior manager who has contacted you will discuss and agree, with you, the issues to be investigated. They will also confirm with you, your ideal outcome from raising your complaint. 
  • An investigation will be carried out, by someone who has had no involvement in the care provided. You will have an opportunity to speak with the investigating officer, if you wish to. The investigating officer will be your contact throughout the investigation and will keep you updated with their progress. 
  • A response will be sent to you within 10 working days. If, for any reason, this cannot be achieved, you will be informed. Your response will tell you what has been done to look into your issues. It will detail what happened, and what should have happened in relation to the issues you have raised. We will tell you about any mistakes that have been identified, and what will be done to address them. 
  • If you are making a complaint on behalf of another person, we will seek their consent. 
  • If your issues involve another local NHS organisation, or local authority, with your permission, we will work together to provide you with one response. 

Raising a complaint as soon as possible after the event will help us to investigate the issues effectively.

Providing a contact number will enable us to get in touch with you right away. 

Details of complaints are not kept in your health records and making a complaint will not affect your ongoing or future care and treatment in any way.

We follow the guidance set out in The Local Authority Social Services & NHS Complaints (England) Regulations 2009 when managing cases. 

Absolutely not. The Trust sees complaints as an opportunity to improve our services and they should not have any detrimental effects on the person making the complaint. 

Complaints are not held on service users’ medical records. Please contact us if you feel that the service you have received has been affected following making a complaint.

Yes. Under the Data Protection Act 1998, everyone has the right to request to view their medical records. There are costs involved if the records need to be copied, and there are some restrictions (for example third party information will never be shared without permission).

Please see our Your Rights &Info page for more information. 

A service user is entitled to request a change of consultant should they not be happy with their current consultant.  This can be done by making a request to the service that you are using.  The Complaints and Patient Experience Team can help you to make this request should you need any support.  A request to change consultant will always be considered if requested, but will not always be agreed, depending on the team’s assessment regarding the best interests of the service user. 

All service users are entitled to request a second opinion should they not be happy with their diagnosis or medication.  This request should be made to the service directly, however the Complaints and Patient Experience Team can help you to make this request should you need support.

The Complaints and Patient Experience Team like all of of the staff working for Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust, have a duty of confidentiality to our service users.  This means that we will not share information about a service user without their permission to do so.  This does not mean that we will not look into the concerns of relatives or friends about a service user’s care and treatment, but it does mean that we will not always be able to share the full results of our investigations.

Accessibility tools

Return to header